City celebrating 140th birthday

Copperas Cove is getting ready to celebrate her birthday, and there should be 140 candles on the cake. March 25, 1879, is the official date. That’s when Copperas Cove officially became Coperas Cove – and we have the postal records to prove it.

Folks had been living in this area since the mid 1840s. Fort Gates was established in the upper part of the county in 1849, and Coryell County itself had been established in 1854, but there was no official Copperas Cove.

Land surveys show that early settlers included Wash Davis, Samuel Gilmore, James Anderson, James George and William Hardeman. Then in 1878, Marsden Ogletree came from Georgia and built a stone building which served as his dwelling and as a stagecoach stop on the path between Georgetown and Fort Gates.

That year application was made to the United States Post Office to establish a post office by the name of Cove. The application was denied, because another Cove existed in the state, actually just down the road. Evant was that Cove. Ogletree reapplied adding the Coperas to the name. It was granted on March 25, 1879.

 

To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition https://www.etypeservices.com/Copperas%20Cove%20BannerID471/

Copperas Cove Banner

200 Cove Terrace Shopping Center
Copperas Cove,Texas 76522

(254) 542-7425 (o)
(254) 547-7424 (f)